Jalandhar to Delhi: A Journey by Bus

With my train ticket still being in General waiting list, I made up a sudden change of plan and decided to go to Delhi tonight itself by Bus. Hurriedly I pack a long pants and a pair of t-shirt for my stay in Delhi till 1st April. I came to the bus station around 4:30pm with a friend and we departed to our own destination (he went to Manali).

As I reached the bus station, a bus was about to left for Delhi so I booked my seat immediately and choose a seater beside the windows (seat no. 34). A man in his late 30 or early 40s seated beside the seat am allocated.He asked through sign for my ticket and I show it him after which he made way for me to get seated. In about 5 min the bus engine starts and we headed towards Delhi.

After some 5-10 min, I saw the man checking map on his phone with Panipat as his destination. He check over and  over again with a gap of minute or two. I was a bit tired so I decided to take a quick nap and went for sleep with headphones plug in my ear. About 30 min into the journey I woke up from my nap and while  I was busy replying back to the safe journey wishes from friends saw the man texting message on his phones to someone. Then a short nap or two and the journey continue on towards Delhi.

In my hazy mode I saw the person doing video call with his near and dear one. He was not speaking but just doing some sign movement with his hand. I thought maybe cos it's in the bus and noisy so he was doing that way. I listen to music on headphones and occasional chats on WhatsApp and checking map to see where my location is in meantime as we continue on with our journey.

Halfway to the journey, the man open up the notes in his phone and wrote "I will reach Panipat around 10". He signal to the person seating on his left(oh I forgot to mention I got seated in 3 person seater  side) and show him the text. Next he open up a contact and dail and handover his phone to the other person. The call didn't went for twice or thrice and the person dail again and finally got the call connected. "Woh 10 bhaje ke pass me Panipat ponch jaiga" he said and cut the call and handover the phone to the man. In reply the man took out notes app in his mobile and type "Thank you", the other man nodded his head in reply.It was only by this time, I only realised the man is deaf. We continue on our journey together till he left at his stop i.e in Panipat.

I felt remoseful after seeing him but at the same time made me ponder how lucky I am and grateful for what I am. Am all good, neither am I deaf or dumb nor with any major defects. Further, seeing the person person communicating in English, makes me to ponder the hardships he might have underwent in learning it. I felt challenge that I for one who has all the condition favouring me "what have I learn which I can actually make use of and also help other in a way or two."

This journey experience has also taught me  how Mobile which for many youngster has been an addiction and problem has help those who are differently-abled in their day to day life. And make me realise that "Technology can either be a curse or cure." Given the technology, it depends on how you and I make use of it, we can either use it for our betterment or make it as an obstacles in our way.

I felt so much blessed and challenge through this journey. I remain grateful and thankful to the person for teaching me all the lesson that I learned in this short span and also making my journey a memorable one.

Comments

Popular Post

Dear little one

She deserves.......